By Trevor Freeman
Have you ever had a bad case of writer’s block? So much so, that it was beginning to affect your overall personality? For the last week, I have been hashing article ideas out in my head. I wrote a bunch of first paragraphs on a variety of topics but could never close the deal. Then it hit me. It was time to take these random thoughts and once again come with “A Sports Medley”.
15. I still cannot believe Michael Crabtree slipped to my San Francisco 49ers at 10. That was the greatest moment I have had as a 49ers fan since the Giants blew that 38-14 lead in the playoffs against us. Not only did we get somebody who was regarded as the best player in this draft when college football season ended, but he now has a chip on his shoulder.
14. There is nothing better than holding the winning Exacta ticket after the Preakness.
13. On the flip side, if you’ve never been to an OTB after a big race, it is quite an experience. Let’s put it this way, I definitely got the sense that I should walk straight in, walk straight out and not let anybody catch onto the fact I just had a strong showing.
12. Nobody is happier to see the Blackburn Rovers avoid relegation than this guy right here. Kudos to “Big” Sam Allardyce. He deserves Manager of the Year for getting the squad to safety with a defenseman in Chris Samba playing striker. If you like comeback stories, keep an eye on Paul Robinson. He was brilliant down the stretch for Blackburn.
11. I honestly cannot believe my Oakland Athletics are one of the worst teams in baseball. For the first time in years, we break open our checkbooks to land Jason Giambi and . We trade for Matt Holliday. Immediately upon landing in Oakland they all proceed to submit an opening month and a half worthy of both shame and ridicule. It is so terrifying awful that I called up my cable company and asked if there was a refund policy on the . There isn’t.
10. Houston may have lost to the Lakers, however Aaron Brooks was incredible in that series. Brooks matched up on Fisher was reminiscent of the duels between the Roadrunner and Wile E.Coyote. Except if Wile E. Coyote had on cement shoes.
9. Manny Pacquiao versus Floyd Mayweather Jr. needs to happen soon. I haven’t been this excited about a proposed boxing match in years.
8. While Ricky Rubio or . Add either of those guys to a nucleus of Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook and you are talking about possibly the best, young team in basketball.won’t be landing in Oklahoma City, the Thunder will still make out like bandits in this draft as they are going to get either
7. Speaking of Blake Griffin, last night is a classic example of why the NBA lottery needs to be rigged. Was it anybody’s best interest that a great kid like him is ending up on the Clippers?or the Thunder is where they should have made sure Griffin landed.
6. I was talking about this with a friend of mine, but can’t you make an argument thatis the greatest pitcher of the last fifty years. Hear me out. You can take one look at Maddux and see that he never touched steroids. Meanwhile, he dominated in an age that is riddled by the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Can’t you make the argument that he wins 30-40 more career games with a slightly lower ERA if there was normalcy?
5. I just need to say it again. MICHAEL CRABTREE IS A 49ER. Wow. Those are tears in my eyes right now.
4. Manchester United over Barcelona. If you look at Manchester United’s record they generally come through in big games. Their losses are usually when they are looking ahead to more important fixtures.
3. Nuggets inbarely lost Game One and Chauncey wasn’t Chauncey. Denver has been the better team in the playoffs and wins this series.
2. Cavaliers in 5. Cleveland is too good for Orlando. The only reason why I’m not calling for the broomstick is because I think Orlando will have enough pride to win Game 3 at home.
1. Cavaliers over the Lakers in 7. This is LeBron’s season.